Section 6: Events and Gatherings
The University of Arkansas has developed a policy for campus events that requires a review and approval process based on public health considerations during the COVID-19 pandemic. This policy, which supplements the university's existing policy on facilities use, is intended to align with guidance issued by the state of Arkansas and the Arkansas Department of Health.
The new policy will be in effect for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency or until otherwise determined by the chancellor. The policy covers on-campus gatherings hosted by an official U of A unit, registered student organization or approved through the university's reservation process. Scheduled classes and informal small groups do not fall under this policy.
Event organizers must agree to abide by all applicable COVID-19 directives of the ADH, state of Arkansas and U of A. Failure to comply with these directives may result in suspension or termination of the event. Organizers are also required to submit a Campus Events and COVID-19 Authorization and Approval Form to their designated university officials for review and approval.
Please keep the following in mind:
- Each event reviewed through this process is to be approved on a case-by-case basis, based on considerations of public health and safety.
- Large gatherings are discouraged (and may not be allowed) at least through the end of the fall semester.
- Approved events may be cancelled or altered if public health concerns warrant a change in conditions.
- Online and virtual events are encouraged.
- The Arkansas Union will operate under modified hours and adjustments will be made according to the rhythms of campus and in accordance with all university, state and health department guidance.
- Approved events shall use sanitation protocols and social distancing practices.
- Event sponsors (other than official UA units) must agree to hold the University harmless for any risk of harm or illness to participants that may results from the event.
- Food service (if offered) will be limited to individual portions. Buffet or self-service will not be offered.
Event organizers should also keep a record of their event approval as well as a list of their event participants. A maintained list of event attendees is helpful in the event of a need for contact tracing.
The requirements for approving events differ depending on the size of the event and whether or not members of the public are invited to attend. The following policies are subject to change based on updates to any applicable policies or event guidance from the state of Arkansas or the university regarding on-campus events:
Campus Community Events Without Members of the Public
- 100 or fewer attendees shall require social distancing and face coverings. Requires approval of unit director or department head/chair.
- More than 100 attendees shall require social distancing and face coverings. Requires approval of unit director/department head/chair, dean (or designee), and vice chancellor.
Campus Community Events With Members of the Public
- 100 or fewer attendees shall require social distancing and face covering. Requires approval of unit director/department head/chair, dean (or designee), and vice chancellor.
- More than 100 attendees shall require social distancing and face covering. Requires approval of unit director/ department chair, dean (or designee), and vice chancellor as well as submission to and approval by the Arkansas Department of Health at least 24 hours prior to the start of the event.