Sexual Assault and Survivor Support

The below information is intended to assist both survivors of sexual assault and those who support them. Resources for sexual assault prevention and survivor support are available to all members of the university community.

Content warning: This page contains information about relationship and sexual violence.

If You Have Experienced Relationship or Sexual Violence

We encourage you to seek support. The university offers options so that you can choose what feels right to you. The Campus Sexual & Relationship Violence Center (SRVC) provides victim advocacy and education services related to sexual and relationship violence. The SRVC recognizes that sexual and relationship violence can happen to anyone and openly welcomes all victims/survivors for advocacy services. All services are at no cost, focused on students, and confidential.

If You Are a Victim of Sexual Assault

Make sure you are safe. If not safe and on campus, call UAPD at 479-575-2222. If you are off campus, call 9-1-1. 

Call someone who can help, like a friend. Support services are also available from: 

Campus Sexual & Relationship Violence Center | 479-575-4000 | 

NWA Center for Sexual Assault | 479-347-2304 | Hotline: 800-794-4175 

1670 W. Sunset Ave., Suite B. Springdale, AR 72762 

Do not blame yourself. Being a victim of sexual assault is never your fault. 

Get medical attention. If you have severe injuries like fractures/head injury/lacerations, you should have someone drive you to Washington Regional Medical Center in Fayetteville, Northwest Medical Center in Springdale or Mercy Hospital in Rogers – whichever is closer, OR call 9-1-1. If you are younger than 18 years old, you should present to the Emergency Department at Arkansas Children’s Northwest located at 2601 Gene George Blvd, Springdale, AR 72762, Phone 479-309-5391.

Consider a forensic exam (if assaulted in last 96 hours). This involves a collection of important evidence including fluid samples, clothing, nail clippings, hair, pictures of injured areas, etc.

In the state of Arkansas, a victim/survivor has 96 hours from the time of the incident to have a forensic evidence examination, which will be paid for by the State. A police report is also made, unless the evidence is collected as a “Jane/John Doe kit”. During the forensic evidence collection and exam, assessment for injury is documented and treated, if necessary. Contents of the forensic collection include various swabs that are used to collect potential evidence. Clothing and other materials that may contain forensic evidence are also gathered, if possible. The sooner forensic evidence collection is done after an assault, the greater the likelihood of finding potential evidence for collection. 

  • A forensic exam cannot be done at Pat Walker Health Center, so we refer patients to the NWA Center for Sexual Assault. Patients younger than age 18 are referred to Arkansas Children’s Northwest in Springdale.
  • If you have a forensic exam, you are not obligated to prosecute, but the evidence will be available if you do decide to prosecute. 
  • You can decline any part of the exam. 
  • There will be no cost to you for the exam, testing and initial treatment to prevent possible STDs or pregnancy. 
  • If you have a forensic exam, you may be eligible for Crime Victim Compensation. 
  • A forensic exam is completely private – there is no insurance billing. No friends/family/associates will know about it unless you choose to tell them. 
  • If you decide that you want a forensic exam, do NOT shower, drink, eat, brush your teeth or change your clothes. These activities could destroy physical evidence that could be useful if you decide to prosecute. However, if you have already bathed/brushed etc. (which is a perfectly normal response), you should still get a forensic exam. These activities do not necessarily prevent the collection of evidence. 
  • Bring a change of clothes because those worn during the sexual assault may be collected as evidence.

If you do not want a forensic exam, make an appointment at Pat Walker Health Center, where you can be tested/treated for STDs. We can help you get the support you need. 

Write everything down that you clearly remember happening. You may find that details become more clear as time goes on – usually after two or more sleep cycles. Writing about the assault can help you to cope with the situation, plus also may be helpful in any legal action you might choose to take. 

Report the incident to the U of A Title IX office. All students are encouraged to report any incidents to 479-575-7111 or The Title IX Coordinator is dedicated to ensuring campus safety by proactively addressing all reports.

Victims Reparations: In Arkansas, if a police report is filed within 72 hours since the time of the assault, a victim/survivor is eligible to apply for the Victims Reparations program. This program serves to reimburse victims/survivors for any personal out of pocket expenses that may have incurred because of the crime.  A victim advocate can assist you with completing the required forms. Remember to hold onto all receipts for expenses incurred because of the crime. Visit Crime Victims Reparations Board website to learn more and to access application forms. Students may reach out to the campus Sexual and Relationship Violence Center if they need assistance with the forms or navigating the CVRB website.

For More Resources

Look at the Campus Sexual & Relationship Violence Center (SRVC) website for more information, resources, and support services.



Edit webpage