CAPS offers numerous services including Initial Consultations,  individual counseling, group counseling, psychiatric services, outreach, and case management. CAPS also has 24/7 emergency services. Our after-hours emergency on call service can be reached by dialing our main number, 479-575-5276.

We provide limited psychological assessments for a nominal charge. However, this does not include ADHD testing

Students currently enrolled in classes who have paid the university health fee are eligible for services at CAPS. 

After the Initial Consultation, a recommendation for treatment will be made based on the needs of the student. Like many other university counseling centers across the nation, CAPS uses a short term therapy model of practice. If a student needs to be seen on a more long-term basis, CAPS will work closely with the student to find a provider in the community that can meet his or her needs.

The CAPS senior clinical staff is comprised of licensed psychologists, licensed professional counselors and licensed clinical social workers, psychiatrists and a psychiatric nurse. In addition to our senior staff, we have graduate clinicians who are pursuing masters or doctoral degrees in psychology, counseling and social work. They are provided with at least 3 hours per week of supervision by our senior clinical staff in order to maintain the highest level of care to all of our clients. View our “CAPS Staff & Accreditation” page for more information about the CAPS staff.

Counseling Services

Initial Consultation

Covered by Student Health & Wellness Fee

Individual Counseling

Covered by Student Health & Wellness Fee

Group Therapy

Covered by Student Health & Wellness Fee

Case Management

Covered by Student Health & Wellness Fee

Emergency Services 

Covered by Student Health & Wellness Fee

Referral Services

Covered by Student Health & Wellness Fee

Outreach Services

Covered by Student Health & Wellness Fee

No Show / Late Cancellation (Counseling/Case Management)


CAPS provides quality mental health services that are mostly covered by the Student Health  & Wellness Fee. Time set aside for mental health appointmens is valued; therefore, charges apply for all SCHEDULED missed appointments. (Appointments not canceled the by the business day  before the appointment). Charges will be billed to your UA Connect account.

CAPS services, except psychiatry services, are included with the Student Health & Wellness fee. Psychiatry appointments can be billed to insurance or self-pay is an option. The Pat Walker Health Center can process insurance, including the student health insurance for psychiatry appointments. 

Students currently enrolled in classes may stop by CAPS or call 479-575-5276 to inquire about an Initial Consultation with a CAPS mental health clinician 

New clients: Initial Consultations are offered at varied times, Monday through Friday. You may stop by for a walk-in appointment or call 479-575-5276 if you have questions. You will complete various intake forms and then meet with a clinician for approximately 30 minutes.

During the consultation, the clinician will ask you about the nature of your concerns and assess the severity of the problems, existing coping skills and additional resources/strategies. At the completion of the session, you and the clinician will determine the most appropriate next steps. These might include any combination of counseling services, psychiatric services, case management, referral to a campus resource or referral to a community provider.

Returning clients: You may be asked to return through an Initial Consultation depending on when you were last seen at CAPS. Call 479-575-5276 and inform the front office staff of your situation and they will assist you.

If a student is experiencing a mental health emergency, they may call CAPS 24 hours a day at 479-575-5276. If it is between 8:00am-5:00pm (9am on Fridays), the student may walk in to CAPS for emergency assistance.

You are welcome to call and express your concern about a student, but we are unable to schedule an appointment with anyone but the student who is seeking services.

We are always able to listen to your concerns about students.

While many university students are just beginning to establish independence from their families, we cannot, for ethical and legal reasons, discuss a student’s client status with anyone unless the student has given us written permission to do so. This includes information about whether a student has sought services and kept appointments, as well as the information and issues shared and discussed in therapy sessions.

Information we can provide others:

  • General information about psychological concerns

  • Information regarding helping students obtain services

Information we cannot provide without written authorization:

  • Whether a student is being seen here or has kept an appointment

  • Discuss the content of sessions

  • Discuss treatment plans or progress

Students should not pursue services at CAPS for the sole purpose of obtaining a letter of support. CAPS does not provide letters at the time of an Initial Consultation and cannot provide documentation regarding a student's mental health without a history of services at CAPS during the specified time period. If necessary, students are encouraged to seek letters of support from individuals directly involved in their care such as past or present psychological/psychiatric providers, medical doctors, or family members. CAPS can provide a letter for students who have a history of treatment at CAPS based on appropriateness and at the discretion of the student’s service provider.

Letters regarding Emotional Support Animals (ESA):

The number of requests by students for documentation to support having an animal to address mental health issues is increasing. However, at this time the mental health literature is urging mental health professionals without specific training in forensics to refrain from writing letters in support of ESA’s for the following reasons:

  • This represents a dual relationship for the mental health clinician if serving as both a provider of clinical services and an evaluator.

  • We would be practicing outside our area of competence. Issuing support letters for ESA’s is comparable to determining specific disability accommodations. While CAPS staff are trained in diagnosis of mental health conditions, CAPS staff members are not trained in selecting specific disability accommodations to address or alleviate mental health conditions/diagnoses.

  • The literature recommends that those requesting a letter be evaluated by a professional trained in forensics.

  • This type of evaluation should include an observation of the interactions between the student and the animal.

  • Currently there is a lack of consensus regarding scientific guidelines for ESA’s. 

For these reasons a CAPS provider is not able to provide a letter supporting the use of an ESA at this time. We will continue to review all relevant literature and legal standards, and update these guidelines accordingly. 

CAPS can provide appropriate referrals for students seeking documentation regarding ESA’s. Students who request such letters will be referred to their current or past medical or mental health providers outside of the University of Arkansas, or will be assisted in establishing care with a medical or mental health provider in our local community.

Further information regarding disability accommodations can be obtained from the Center for Educational Access. Contact the CEA at or visit their offices located at 209 in the Arkansas Union.

Congratulations on completing that phase of treatment. We would be happy to meet with students to see if our services or a referral to a provider in the community would be most helpful. Unfortunately, we may not be able to provide all of the student’s treatment ourselves as intensive, ongoing outpatient treatment for issues such as an addiction or eating disorders goes beyond the services CAPS can provide. In the event that CAPS is not an appropriate follow-up option for students, we can help the student get connected to appropriate resources.

The student engaged in services at CAPS is the only person that can initiate the release of his or her mental health record.

We are happy to release mental health records to other clinical providers. If a student plans to transfer care to another provider, once that therapeutic relationship is established, then the student may sign a release of information to send records to the new provider.

If a student wants information about their mental health treatment at CAPS for his or her own record, we will be happy to provide a written summary.

At Pat Walker Health Center, medical and mental health providers work together to address issues that affect the health of U of A students. Many medical and mental health issues are interconnected, so sometimes one health care provider may refer a student to another provider after an initial consultation; and sometimes the scheduled provider may invite another specialist to consult regarding the student’s situation.

In either case, whenever medical and mental health providers work together as a team on an individual student’s care, they need permission from the student in order to access both parts of the student’s medical record: the medical records and the mental health records. Obtaining this permission is required by our ethical and legal standards. Working collaboratively allows the providers to create the most effective treatment and follow-up plan for the student’s particular needs. These collaborations require the sharing of health information, and it will only be shared to the extent appropriate for the student’s care.

There are several offices on campus that can help assess a student’s needs and offer appropriate academic support.

The Office of the Dean of Students seeks to support students during emergency situations. The deans are advocates for students during academic and personal crises. If you need help and don't know where to turn, contact the Dean of Students office. The deans are here to help you. The Dean of Students can be reached at (479) 575-5004.

The Center for Educational Access serves as the central campus resource for helping students with disabilities (which is often determined by their office) obtain the accommodations they need for equal access to classroom activity. The CEA provides direct support for students with disabilities and training and educational resources to the University community as a whole. The University also consults with the CEA about ways to build the technological infrastructure to maximize the accessibility of the institution's programs, services, and activities.

In partnership with students, faculty, and staff, CEA staff members work with students individually and assist academic units to determine reasonable accommodations that will enable every student to have access to the full range of programs and services.

The Student Success Center focuses their commitment on ensuring that students have the tools and resources they need to be successful.

  • one-on-one peer academic coaching/tutoring
  • courses, like University Perspectives
  • supplemental instruction
  • one-on-one assistance to all students at any stage of the writing process
  • programs that support first-year and first-generation students
  • student employment opportunities 
  • study tips & resources
  • Career Studio

Openly and honestly expressing your concern to the student is a good first step. If there are other important people in the student’s life who share your concern, it may be helpful for them express that to the student in a non-threatening and empathic manner. Ultimately, it is up to the student to make the appointment, but you can assist with sharing your concerns and providing them with information about the CAPS program.

CAPS always encourages family members and other concerned parties to express their concerns with the Office of the Dean of Students as well. The Office of the Dean of Students seeks to support students during emergency situations. The deans are advocates for students during academic and personal crises. Contact the Dean of Students office at 479-575-5004.

 In addition to the Dean of Student's office, U of A Cares offers a supportive and encouraging partnership with students by linking them with appropriate resources that will allow them the opportunities to overcome barriers on their path to success; both personal and educational. U of A Cares is run out of the Dean of Student's office.

Because of increasing demand for services from students, faculty/staff (even if they are enrolled in classes) are not eligible for on-going individual counseling. However, faculty/staff can always be seen at CAPS for emergencies and case management (to discuss referral information/options). 

Faculty/staff can contact the Arkansas Employee Assistance Program  (EAP) for counseling and/or referral information. This is a benefit provided to faculty/staff by the University. 

EAP Phone: (800) 542-6021 | (501) 686-2588

Find a therapist near you.