Psychiatry Services

CAPS offers psychiatric care for a range of mental health concerns for students registered at the University of Arkansas.

Our psychiatric team is comprised of psychiatrists and a psychiatric nurse. The team is committed to meeting the psychiatric needs of our student population with the highest quality of care.

Psychiatry services include psychiatric evaluations, consultations, and medication management. Medication may be recommended as a treatment option to address emotional health concerns that have a biological component. 

Please call CAPS at 479-575-5276 for information about psychiatry. 

Scheduling Psychiatric Services

Students interested in a psychiatric medication evaluation can stop by or call CAPS at 479-575-5276 to inquire about psychiatric services.

A referral can be also made to CAPS psychiatry by one of the medical providers at the Primary Care Clinic located on the first floor of the Pat Walker Health Center, or by a CAPS mental health clinician.

What to Expect

All psychiatric appointments should check in downstairs at the Primary Care Intake desk. They will direct patients to the appointment location at check in.

Typically, a student will arrive to their scheduled appointment, complete any required paperwork or assessments, meet with a psychiatrist, and if necessary, schedule a follow-up psychiatric appointment with the psychiatric nurse.

Initial psychiatric evaluations are scheduled for 60-minutes, while follow-up psychiatric appointments are scheduled for 30-minutes.  Students are asked to arrive early for their scheduled appointment time; students arriving late will have to reschedule their appointment in order to maintain the efficiency by which psychiatric services are scheduled.

Additionally, students are strongly encouraged to call if they know ahead of time that they are unable to attend or may arrive late to any psychiatric appointment.

It is helpful for students to bring a list of their past and current medications to the initial psychiatric evaluation appointment. Previous records can be faxed to the psychiatric nurse at 479-575-5705.

NOTE: CAPS psychiatric services are available only for students registered at the University of Arkansas. If you have questions regarding psychiatric services, feel free to contact CAPS at 479-575-5276 for additional information.

ADHD Information & Resources

Students with ADHD have two options to obtain treatment and resources they need to be successful at the University of Arkansas.

Due to limitations of psychiatric resources, CAPS is unable to accept new ADHD patients currently. 

Option 1: Continue with current physician who is treating and prescribing medication.

If the treating physician is located out of town or state, you may arrange to meet with your doctor according to their protocol and your academic schedule.

Physicians can mail a prescription to the pharmacist at Walmart on Campus, who will hold the prescription for the student and fill according to the prescription and date. This prescription must be the original, on paper, not faxed, phoned in or e-mailed.

Walmart on Campus Pharmacy

616 Garland Avenue, Suite 363

Fayetteville, AR 72701

Phone: (479) 443-1658

CAPS can provide a list of community providers in the area. Students can also search for providers that treat ADD/ADHD on

ADHD Testing

CAPS does not provide diagnostic testing for ADHD. For medical professionals who conduct diagnostic testing in Northwest Arkansas, see list below or call 479-575-5276.

111 Memorial Hall, 480 Campus Drive

Fayetteville, AR 72701

Phone: (479) 575-4258

118 E. Sunbridge Drive

Fayetteville, AR 72703

Phone: (479) 444-1400

Northwest Arkansas Psychological Group

1706 Joyce Suite 3

Fayetteville, AR 72703

Phone: 479-442-9381

2592 N. Gregg Avenue

Fayetteville, AR 72703

Phone: (479) 313-6333

601 W. Maple Avenue

Springdale, AR 72764

Phone: (479) 751-8992

86 W. Sunbridge Drive

Springdale, AR 72703

Phone: (479) 435-6360

204 N. East Avenue

Fayetteville, AR 72701

Phone: (479) 442-0763


Sam Wallace PhD, LPC

1845 Green Acres Road

Fayetteville, AR 72703

(479) 957-8546


118 E. Sunbridge Drive

Fayetteville, AR 72703

Phone: (479) 444-1400

Campus Accommodations

Students in need of accommodations should contact the Center for Educational Access (CEA). The CEA works with students on an individual basis to determine the provision of a reasonable accommodation based on the student’s disability.

Contact the CEA at (479) 575-3104 or Visit their webpage at for additional information.

Psychiatric Medication FAQs

Due to limitations of psychiatric resources, CAPS is unable to accept new ADD/ADHD patients currently.

No, CAPS does not provide diagnostic testing for ADHD.

For medical professionals who conduct diagnostic testing in Northwest Arkansas, see list below or call 479-575-5276.

U of A Psychological Clinic

Center for Psychology and Counseling

Gene Chambers, Ph.D.

John Childers Jr., Psychologist & LPC

Integrated Neuropsychological Services

Martin Faitak, Ph.D

No, counseling is not a requirement to get medication through CAPS. However, a nurse or psychiatrist may recommend you attend a clinical consultation with a CAPS counselor if you are experiencing mental health concerns such as depression, anxiety, academic difficulties, etc.

Please request a medication refill through the patient portal or call CAPS to speak with the psychiatric nurse at least five business days before you run out of your medication.

Requesting a refill within only a few days of running out or after you run out may result in an unavoidable lapse in your medication.

You are also responsible for keeping appointments with your psychiatrist. Your prescription might not be refilled if you miss your appointment.

Faxes from pharmacies requesting refills will not be approved. The patient must directly make the refill request.


Call CAPS immediately at (479) 575-5276 and ask to speak to the psychiatry nurse. If it occurs after hours or during a weekend, contact your pharmacy. Loss of your medication may result in a lapse in your medication.

Students can pay invoices downstairs at the Primary Care Clinic Intake area or charges can also be applied to your student UAConnect account.

If you experience a medical emergency and need immediate help, dial 911.

Patients can seek urgent medical care at the nearest hospital or urgent care center.

For a mental health emergency outside of Pat Walker Health Center’s normal business hours, weekends, and during university breaks/holidays, a mental health professional is available for emergency phone consultations—call 479-575-5276.